View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 09:23 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Gastroparesis and Reglan

It has been a very very long time since I posted here...but my need is great...

I have to say first, yes, I know Reglan is a no-no for Parkinson's disease patients.

I am looking for an alternative to Reglan, which to my knowledge, is the only Gastroparesis drug therapy on the market.

It all started with my complaint that I was having swallowing problems (crackers, meat, etc.,) and as I should have, I sought medical advice before neurological advice, even though I knew the answer.

Jumping to the end of the story, I have bad Gastroparesis; e.g. dinner from 13/14 hours prior to endoscopy was still in my stomach and my stomach was inactive. This will not end well for me. As PWP, there is the complication that the known drug therapy is a non-no, and as a person with diabetes there is the issue of very bad glucose fluctuations, so I may end up on regular insulin after meals (Humalog), rather than my current synthetic, Lantus in the a.m. And, a totally liquid diet...ugh!!

Then, there is the reaction of a PWP friend, which was true and I know it, "Oh goodie, you get to starve to death." And, they say that PD doesn't kill us.

If you have have any advice on therapy alternatives that have worked for you, please reply. I don't see my MDS until the end of November.

Thanks,
Carolyn
CarolynS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote