View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 06:23 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default re-scared

Mustang0227,
Take a deep breath. Not all neuropathies are serious, but they should be looked into. I do understand your fear. Two years ago, I sat down in a recliner, feel asleep for ten minutes, and awoke with complete paralysis of my left arm from the elbow down. I could feel, and knew what I wanted to do with the arm, and hand/fingers, but they were completely paralyzed. I went into a neurologist, who sent me to rehab, didn't seem concerned, but when I showed up at the physical therapist's office, she read the diagnosis, I almost flipped out. She said the neurologist's diagnosis was radial nerve palsy and I MIGHT be able to get some use back, if I got any back AT ALL! It would have meant the end of my career. Wiped out in ten minutes. 6 weeks later, movement began to return, and it is now normal.

Don't expect the worst, regardless of what is said. Take it day by day, and for your peace of mind, get a second opinion. You may have a large nerve that is effected, and since our smaller nerves branch off the larger ones, it can effect the messages the smaller nerves are getting.

You aren't being silly or paranoid in your fear. When things like that happen to us and we don't understand what is going on, its terrifying. Also, if you are in panic mode, you may get additional pain or tingling. Have you ever had someone jump out from behind a door and yell Boo!! when you weren't expecting it? It feels like a blast of shooting nerve stimulation all over the body.

Find out if there is a compassionte neurologist in your area that has good people skills and will take the time to explain what is happening to you. Having someone say, "well, you have a neuropathy" and not much else, it leaves you with a lot of fear and questions.

Let us know how things are going.

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aussie99 (01-19-2014), januarybabe (10-24-2012), mg neck prob (11-27-2012)