Thread: prisms?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 10:21 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Since last Fall, I have had "severe" double vision. I see two distinct images -- one on top of the other -- the top image tilted slightly.

I went to a neuro-opthalmologist. He said that my DV was too bad for regular prism glasses -- the kind you order. I got the impression that the glasses would be too thick and would fall off of my nose. The triagular "thingies" that he used to diagnose/correct my weakness were at least an inch at the thick end -- maybe thicker.

Anyway, he DID put stick-on prisms on two pairs of readers for me. Two DIFFERENT strengths -- a weaker prism for earlier in the day and a stronger one for night.

I have been SO pleased with my stick-on prisms. I left his office that day saying, "I can see, I can see!!!!!!"

Stick-on prisms are relatively inexpensive compared to "ground" prisms -- less than $50 per pair, I think -- IF put on existing glasses or readers. I don't know about plastic/lightweight glasses -- I've heard that they can be very expensive.

BTW, my eyes look like Jack Elam's. When I put on the prisms, in a couple of seconds the eye "pulls" back into allignment. It is the most AMAZING thing!!