View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 01:09 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New member w/concussion issues

Hi, I'm very happy to find this forum. It has already been helpful just in the 2 days that I've been a member.

Walking my 3 (large) dogs in mid-August, a man and his dog ran up behind us quietly. My dogs heard him, I did not. They got spooked and ran toward the street, taking me flying through the air with them. The back of my head hit the asphalt - no other injuries except a mild scrape on my elbow. Got staples to close the wound at the hospital, had to go back the next day when I started throwing up and couldn't stop. Concussion was diagnosed - CT scan revealed no bleeding.

So that was more than 2 months ago. Each week, it seems, a new symptom hits me. Today my head feels heavy, like it's going to fall off. Tinnitus is terrible. I get fatigued easily and am occasionally wobbly/unsteady. Glare from the sun or artificial light is very painful. I feel pressure inside my head, almost sinus-like except it's not localized behind my face/eyes. Even nodding or shaking my head or tossing my hair out of my eyes feels like it's causing re-injury.

Doctors - from my internal med doc ist to my neurologist (I have epilepsy) - haven't been esp. concerned. The emergency room doctors said I should start feeling better from a few days to a few weeks after the concussion. The internal med doc who removed my staples said I should just do the things I normally do. The neurologist who I saw a week ago said it could take another 3-4 weeks before I'm better.

I work at a computer 7 hours a day. I took a week off after the concussion then worked half-time for the next week or so. I'm 56, and I've read that it takes longer for older people to heal. But after 2+ months, shouldn't I be feeling more improvement than this?

Thanks for any comments.
chw1538 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote