View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 05:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'll preface this by saying that all brain injuries are different, but with that said I can share my experience.

My TBI was also diagnosed as moderate to severe; my GCS was 11 with epidural hematoma and subarachnoid hemorrhage. After craniotomy surgery, my course of treatment included a neuropsychological evaluation from a clinical neuropsychologist. That identified deficits in short term memory, spatial orientation and executive functioning. My recovery therapies included in-patient and out-patient sessions with speech and occupational therapists. I was fortunate in that 5 month after the accident I had recovered enough to return to work.

The neuro-surgeon should be able to evaluate if surgery is needed, although it would seem unusual this long after the accident unless there was another subsequent stroke, which is possible. You didn't say if you live with her but since she experiences occasional seizures and falling she should not be left alone until after she is evaluated by the surgeon and/or a neuropsychologist for a specific course of therapy, which sound like needs to happen immediately. Meantime she needs to be kept safe, get quiet rest, and receive as much patience and reassurance as possible. With the stroke history I’d ask the doctors if she should be on an aspirin or warfarin regimen.

Best to you both on this recovery journey.
What Happened: On November 29, 2010, I was walking across the street and was hit by a light rail commuter train. Result was a severe traumatic brain injury and multiple fractures (skull, pelvis, ribs). Total hospital stay was two months, one in ICU followed by an additional month in neuro-rehab. Upon hospital discharge, neurological testing revealed deficits in short term memory, executive functioning, and spatial recognition.

Today: Neuropsychological examination five months post-accident indicated a return to normal cognitive functioning, and I returned to work approximately 6 months after the accident. I am grateful to be alive and am looking forward to enjoying the rest of my life.
Lightrail11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote