View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Magnesium oxide is not absorbed to any useful extent. It remains in the GI tract.
Mixtures tend to not be real mixtures. Magnesium oxide is the smallest volume maker in pills because oxide does not weigh much. Gluconate is a heavy portion however, and I would not expect much of it in that tablet.
There is a link to the studies on absorption in my magnesium thread here:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread1138.html
Magnesium oxide is however an excellent laxative and is used as such (Phillips tablets).. because the magnesium remains in the bowel.

I've called manufacturers and they cannot tell as a rule from their recipes how much of each is in a mixture.
http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...6&aparam=92272

This means 63% of your daily RDA requirement value. However I take issue with that. Magnesium oxide is 60% magnesium elemental by weight. That 63% on the label does not mean you will ABSORB any of it.
So 250mg of the magnesium oxide is 150mg magnesium by weight, but very little if any is absorbed from this. Don't count on anything being helpful from this product therefore.
Quote:
Oral magnesium supplements combine magnesium with another substance such as a salt. Examples of magnesium supplements include magnesium oxide, magnesium sulfate, and magnesium carbonate. Elemental magnesium refers to the amount of magnesium in each compound. Figure 1 compares the amount of elemental magnesium in different types of magnesium supplements [28]. The amount of elemental magnesium in a compound and its bioavailability influence the effectiveness of the magnesium supplement. Bioavailability refers to the amount of magnesium in food, medications, and supplements that is absorbed in the intestines and ultimately available for biological activity in your cells and tissues. Enteric coating (the outer layer of a tablet or capsule that allows it to pass through the stomach and be dissolved in the small intestine) of a magnesium compound can decrease bioavailability [29]. In a study that compared four forms of magnesium preparations, results suggested lower bioavailability of magnesium oxide, with significantly higher and equal absorption and bioavailability of magnesium chloride and magnesium lactate [30]. This supports the belief that both the magnesium content of a dietary supplement and its bioavailability contribute to its ability to restore deficient levels of magnesium.
from http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Mag...hProfessional/

My link to my magnesium thread gives more details on this subject. You can read further there.

Oxide therefore does not give much if any absorption into the blood stream, and is to be avoided.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote