View Single Post
Old 04-27-2007, 09:41 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Thank you both so much for your posts.

I have an update.

To answer your question about why I went off. I have had a sllightly large goiter for a while. But harmless. Then all this stuff health wise came crashing down TOS mainly but looking back the thyroid definetley exacerbated somethings like muscle spasms.

Anyway they did dx me with hashis and I had many biopies all negative thank god. And after a course of steroids for a while surprisingly the thryoid normalized again in terms of TSH and all was well, except for the TOS damage from a neck injury. So the head endo at a major teaching hospital said its rare but it does happend where the thryoid normalizes so you are fine to go off the synthroid. So I did and I felt better...except for those muscle spasms.

Then a month or so ago I started to feel sluggish and very tired and like my neck was big again. sure enough TSH was showing hypo and antibodies still only slightly elevated.

So I staretd the syntroid again and for the first couple of weeks energy was back up, muscles feeling better and neuropathy or sympathetic pain response (thought from TOS) was down. Then some things started to happen like the last time on synthoid. Started getting period every 2 weeks. It sucks but it did happen the last time I was on synthroid. The university doc said it would normalize but it never did. So did gyn but it never did. And I can tell because I know my body that I am not ovulating. Ok fine livable certainly but frustrating.

Then I get my period this time and bam burning all over...prickly burning on my skin, face, hands soles of feet, stomach and pelvis. Burning that feels....I know this will sound weird but chemical like. And sure enough I notice that it happens within a 1/2 hour of taking the synthroid pill. And it gets prgressively less burning as my period wanes. So one day this week I dont take the synthroid and hmmm burning way down. So next day I take 1/2 dosage and burning back but less. And I felt like all my nerves in my body were dry and inflammed.

SInce I thought the burning was the RSd sympathetic pain I went to the pain doc for a shot and sure enough told him the sx and he said sure its symnpathetic in nature but it sure sounds hormone related.

I called the new endo doc who I like very much and told her and we agreed to change the med to see if its an allergic reaction. And I went in today to do blood test on all hormones, thryoid, sex hormones etc. So we will see what that says.

I also did some reading and have set up a phone consult with a doctor lowe who apparently is very well known thryoid expert. I also made appt with Dr Rihda Arem in Houston that wrote thryoid solution. Also made appt for a seond opinion with hormone doc here. That is on MOnday.

IN the meantime I have been doing some reading and something strikes a cord that if you take synthroid that you need to make sure that your do not have adrenal failure or insufficiency. Otherwise it makes the underage even more insufficient. And when this all started 1.5 years back I was extremely stressed, extreme. And right now I have a very stressful job.

I know that the adrenal, sex and thryoid hormones all need to be balanced to work properly.

Now I know I do not have adrenal failure but what if because of the job stress and health stress I have an insufficiency that is aggravated when I take the thryoid med. Plausible?

If that is the case I do not want to go back on prednisone again but I really do react very well when I do go on it, not the high doses but a lower one. And I do know that my b12 was low when this all started, not low like the docs would say is low but low by what all you have written here. It was 454. And I do feel better with the B50 complex and the sublingual B12. So I am going to have my b's tested again.

I have pulled down the Lizajane charts and will pot all my blood tests over the 1.5 years to see the trend.

So time will tell.

Thanks for your help and just for listening.
watsonsh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote