View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 03:07 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_Andy View Post
Nothing like back when I was on the Alert Force (as a Controller) and that klaxon would sound (thankfully always as a drill when Moscow was our target - wasn't a drill when Baghdad was the target!) and our 4 B52's and 4 KC135 refuelers would all start their engines and fire them up to full-power while still in place outside our half-underground facility. I made the mistake of being outside once (within 100 yards of this) and even my hands over my ears didn't keep it from being a bit painful to the eardrums! Talk about causing the ground to shake. A total of 48 engines, all at full throttle... made me glad I was on that side of any potential war! Then there were the times they'd move them out, to the end of the runway and we'd watch with just a bit of trepidation ... they'd do one full taxi down the runway and return to 'ready' stance. We knew if they ever took off .... (they were laden with multiple nukes - to those that may be wondering, yes, I can talk about this now because it's all been decommissioned years ago)

Okay, I'll stop 'memory lane'. I really enjoyed my USAF stint - lots of fond memories, that's for sure.

Good to be back out here although I will unlikely be as active in as many threads as before. I really do have my hands full with a forum that uses this same software - I'm way behind on several software updates and really need to get back to being the webmaster I'm supposed to be!

Also very good to catch up with y'all - I appreciate all y'all (yeah, a Texas expression!).

Sorry but have to inject the memories of the F-100's and duty at Nellis AFB, Las Vegas, Nv back in the 50's. Nothing like the sound of the afterburner or the experience of a sonic boom. wishing you all a pain free day
stagger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (10-26-2012), Mark56 (10-26-2012), Rrae (10-31-2012)