View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 04:24 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Patty,

It sounds like you have found a 'one in a million' neurologist. You are very fortunate. I can understand how tired you were after the exam. The neuro was putting your brain through a serious test of function.

I can explain some of the terms and symptoms.

An MRI/MRA is an MRI with a second image that does not image the vascular structures in your brain. They use the computer to subtract the second image from the first and the left over image is the vascular structures in your head. MRA stands for Magnetic Resonance Angiograph. An angiograph is an image of blood vessels. The MRI machine can not image the blood vessels individually so they do this subtraction process to show the blood vessels. It is much safer that injecting a contrast material into your blood stream plus it is much cheaper.

The bruise and swelling below your eye may be an injury to the meninges, specifically the dura mater. It has become inflamed. There is a name for this condition but I don't recall it.

Your neuro did tell you some hard facts regarding recovery. While this is true, there are many things you can do to overcome the dysfunctions that do not heal.

Your questions about PCS, PTSD and anxiety would have likely been answer in the affirmative with the exception, instead of PCS, you have similar symptoms to PCS but they are due to a TBI with the associated brain damage. The TBI Survival Guide at www.tbiguide.com will explain a lot for you. You can print it out.

Hopefully, at your next appointment, he will refer you to an Occupational Therapist and Speech Therapist to help you with your symptoms. There are skills you need to learn that may not be taught by the OT or ST. There are people here who can help you understand many of the work-arounds and accommodations you may need to learn.

It would be good if he refers you to a NeuroPsychologist (Ph.D.) for a NeuroPsych Assessment (NPA). This will define you current cognitive and memory functions so the therapists will understand how to help you. NPA's are as fatiguing as you neuro appointment and take even longer but will reveal very important details of your struggles.

He may refer you to a neuro-psychiatrist (MD) for help with your anxiety symptoms. He can prescribe meds to help you. Or, he may just prescribe them himself.

Please try to be encouraged. You have found a wonderful neurologist. Things will get better.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (10-26-2012), Lightrail11 (10-26-2012), rmschaver (10-27-2012)