View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 11:20 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Patty, glad you found a good neurologist that was able to answer some of your questions and concerns.

Like you, my TBI was not diagnosed as a concussion, it was a closed head TBI that required a craniotomy to evacuate an epidural hematoma and repair a temporal skull fracture.

I’d like to share with you that (as Mark mentioned) occupational and speech therapy was very helpful. When I was first in neuro-rehab I didn’t know what year it was, who the President was, and I couldn’t do any simple math problems. I did have two NPAs with a PhD level clinical neuropsychologist. The one two months post-accident still showed significant deficits in cognitive processing. With the OT and ST sessions, I continued to make progress and six months after the accident I was able to return to work.

Today I have almost no memory or cognitive deficits. I was 56 when I had my accident so even us “old folks” can recover. You are still early in your recovery, and I expect you will make significant progress. I consider myself to be evidence that miracles can and do happen. The very best to you on your recovery journey. Thank you for sharing your story with us and keep us posted.

What Happened: On November 29, 2010, I was walking across the street and was hit by a light rail commuter train. Result was a severe traumatic brain injury and multiple fractures (skull, pelvis, ribs). Total hospital stay was two months, one in ICU followed by an additional month in neuro-rehab. Upon hospital discharge, neurological testing revealed deficits in short term memory, executive functioning, and spatial recognition.

Today: Neuropsychological examination five months post-accident indicated a return to normal cognitive functioning, and I returned to work approximately 6 months after the accident. I am grateful to be alive and am looking forward to enjoying the rest of my life.

Last edited by Lightrail11; 10-26-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Lightrail11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (10-26-2012)