Thread: Intro
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 09:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Intro

About time I posted an intro, I reckon. Now, what to say?

I'm 51, male, and have been in some degree of back / leg pain since 2003 or so. I had Schuermann's disease strike at about age 12. Nothing was done to help me, don't know if there are /were any treatment options, but I have a nice hunchback from T10-T12, along with scoliosis. The resulting compensatory movement patterns and posture have taken their toll.

In 2006, I was diagnosed with severe DISH, at (hmmm) T10-T12, and in the ankles, and a bit in the hips. An interesting aside: I had an osteopath tell me that there was nothing wrong with me. As I was experiencing a lot of pain, I went to (gasp) a chiropractor, who examined me manually, and told me that something was very wrong with my back, and that he couldn't treat me without x-rays. Boom, DISH was diagnosed, along with some lumbar issues.

I was then diagnosed with nerve impingement at L4-L5 and L5-S1 in 2011, I had been in terrible pain displaying in various parts of the legs and feet for a couple years. Finally, it all made sense. At that point, I couldn't walk, or even stand for more than 15 minutes without being in agony.

I had decompression treatments on the DRX-9000 (again, chiroquacktic), and that helped a lot.

Now, the orthopedic surgeons and neurosurgeons tell me that all that can be done is to take meds, and live with the pain as best as I can. So, that's what I'm doing.

I train for and compete in the sport of strongman. I know, sort of paradoxical. However, I've found that as I keep my back (and the rest of my body) strong, the musculature seems to take some of the load off the spine, and I have less pain, overall. I've had many doctors tell me that can't be true, and I've had physical therapists tell me that it is true.

So, since I like to pick up heavy stuff, I do it.

I'm currently trying to wean myself off Lyrica, after experiencing a period of suicidal ideation and terrible depression. I take (too much for my own taste) hydrocodone regularly, along with high dosage NSAIDs, and have the periodic epi of methylpred.

What else is good to know about Bob?

Well, I love Alaskan Malamutes and Siberian Huskies. I have 3 mals in my pack, and 1 sibe, currently.

Oh yeah: dogs know stuff that people don't. Important stuff.
LyricaBob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Twinkletoes (10-27-2012)