View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Short term and immediate memory struggles are not uncommon after a head injury. There are different types of memory that you may consider as you try to understand your symptoms. There is auditory memory, visual memory, tactile memory, olfactory (smell) memory, etc.

You may find that if you experience an event in more than one memory style that you have better recall. For example, rather than trying to remember from just an visual input, make that informational auditory too by saying the information out loud so you hear it. The full benefit comes from what is called multi-sensory learning. In an educational setting, that means seeing, hearing, and writing it down. This is often the value of taking notes because it combines all three.

The amnesia of before your concussion may come back once you have learned how to sort through your struggling memory. Speech therapists have exercises that can sometimes help.

Before my most recent injury, I had a photographic memory that was almost bullet proof. When I lost the photographic ability, I had to learn new memory skills. I struggle to this day when I think I can rely on my memory as if it is still photographic. It is difficult to break old memory habits.Many find they need to write reminder notes and make lists. It may be helpful for you.

If you have any specific memory struggles, post them. Somebody has probably learned a skill to help with that struggle.

btw, A great amount of what many consider 'recovery' from a concussion with prolonged symptoms is rather a learning of new skills to overcome the lost or weakened brain function.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote