View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 06:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Wink

I am certain there are surgeons that properly prepare their patients for what happens when you wake up and the recovery time/process. I just haven't met one yet. My first spinal surgery was a bi-level cervical disc/lamie back in the mid 80s. I went in for my first check up one week after discharge, out of meds. When I told the surgeon I was still experiencing considerable pain beyond the incision, he looked agast and said, "what's your problem, I fixed your neck!!!" This was before the internet and good peer support. All I had was the info. he chose to give me. I had to beg for a muscle relaxer. I insisted that he just feel my neck and shoulder as they were all spasmed up. It took me months to recover on tylenol xtra strength.

I hope your job is semi compatable with your condition. Can you afford to start out part time and ease yourself in? Being a single woman, I understand where you are coming from. We are an idependant breed. Is there someone who can help you a little financially since this will impact your recovery.......maybe a sibling? Many of us have someone we COULD ask but don't want to for various reasons. I have a brother who has never been married and is quite comfortable. We are extremely close. He is comfortable because he is financially tight. I HATE to ask for help. On the other hand, when he found out I had a bad fall on my ten year old rollator whose weight bearing brakes were shot, and broke a few small bones in a foot, he hit the roof and ordered me a new rollator. Medicare would not order me a weight bearing brake model and I can't use the hand brakes.

Are there any accomodations your employer can make to help you on the job? Did you have both surgeries? Take care, Sweetie. Gentle hugz and prayers.
Spiney95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote