View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 07:09 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
No I don't think you need shots. If you are taking methylcobalamin? That is the active form.

You may be out of balance however with folate, or other nutrients. If you decide to take a folate, please choose methylfolate which is active too. Metafolin by Solgar is one brand. 800mcg a day is plenty for most people.

I'd try to stay on a fixed plan...say just one form of B12 daily at a regular dose, so your body can settle down and use it properly.
Say 5mg daily. Then get tested in 3 months, and do not take any for a week before the test. Injections flood the system suddenly and within 72 hrs that dose is gone. You can develop a see/saw phenomenon, with highs and lows, which you may be feeling.

B12 is only one thing that works in the nervous system. Magnesium, folate, bcomplex and omega-3 fatty acids also do lots of jobs there.
Thank you, MrsD. I always appreciate your knowledge and advice.

I did a bad thing this morning. I gave myself a shot of methylcobalamin, but then I looked at the vial and noticed it expired on 9/5/12! Ugh, can't believe I didn't see that. I should be OK, right? I'm thinking the worst that will "happen" is it's too inactive to still work, and will simply do nothing. I hope I don't get ill from an expired shot.

I hope I don't need shots. To be safe, I picked up another refill on that methylcobalamin at my compounding pharmacy this morning. It expires 11/25... I didn't know it didn't last very long at all.

I do take methylcobalamin in the sublingual form, too. I never use cyanocobalamin anymore. I also do still take dibencozide everyday, personal preference. I notice when I do not take it, my appetite is poor.

I notice you said B complex. I have never tried a B complex, but it has always piqued my curiosity. I take a multivitamin that has 100% RDA for all the other Bs. It's Target's Up & Up brand, and is actually pretty good and rated pretty fairly (I think I saw it in Consumer Reports or something of that nature). However, I have thought about maybe trying a B complex that has the active forms of the Bs in it, but at a very, very low dose (maybe only 100% RDA or so). I can't find one! Would you happen to know of any off the top of your head? Also, my B6 was kind of high when it was tested back in May. I don't want high B6. It was 47.9 (the range is 2.1 - 21.7).

I may not worry about other Bs since I can't find one that isn't super mega dosed and has inactive forms in it.
julleri is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote