View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I am asking a valid question. MBSR is not defined any further than my simple impression as explained in my question. Is there an added dimension beyond the web site explanation? Do you need to take the course to understand the difference.

CBT is taking the thought and redirecting it to a positive thought. MBSR talks of taking the thought and doing nothing with it. PTSD results from stressful thoughts that have no system of release. In my experience, denying the meaning of a thought may allow temporary stress reduction but the long term affects of such a behavior has ended up being stressful as the issue is allowed to continue to build without reaction.

btw, "Jon Kabat-Zinn has said that his program is not spiritually based, and is therefore open to everyone no matter what life circumstances they are in. "
Maybe he is just unaware of the spiritual implications of his protocol. But, that is not my question here.

There appears to be a missing dimension somewhere.

Or, is the difference something that is tied to right brain vs left brain thought processes. Although right brain/left brain issues are not discussed, there appears to be some research data that might indicate a tipping toward benefiting the right brained mind.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote