View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 09:04 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
I have never heard of CBT being described as a visual process. It has always be a word thought process in my understanding. I can not visualize since 2001. My ability to create mind pictures went from a rotatable 3D image to at best a single dimension linear picture.
No, CBT isn't visual - I meant mediation is visual. I can't focus on a guided meditation and 'sounds of nature' and such are just sounds to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
To me, apathy has been recognizing an issue or thought and disregarding its value for continued thought. Sounds like MBSR. IMO
Well, perhaps the concept is the same but the difference I see is that with MBSR you have a specific thing to bring your mind back to the present - i.e. the descriptive exercises -which I think is crucial, especially in order to achieve the 'blank mind' and to 'train' your brain to process things differently.

If somebody said to me 'disregard that thought', I might, but I'd probably start thinking about it again almost immediately.

If somebody said 'disregard that thought and focus your attention on this instead', I'd be more likely to be successful in keeping the thought at bay.

I suppose it's a bit like going for a run/cycle/round of golf whenever you feel stressed, but on a cognitive scale.
andromeda is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote