View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 05:34 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney95 View Post
I am certain there are surgeons that properly prepare their patients for what happens when you wake up and the recovery time/process. I just haven't met one yet. My first spinal surgery was a bi-level cervical disc/lamie back in the mid 80s. I went in for my first check up one week after discharge, out of meds. When I told the surgeon I was still experiencing considerable pain beyond the incision, he looked agast and said, "what's your problem, I fixed your neck!!!" This was before the internet and good peer support. All I had was the info. he chose to give me. I had to beg for a muscle relaxer. I insisted that he just feel my neck and shoulder as they were all spasmed up. It took me months to recover on tylenol xtra strength.

I hope your job is semi compatable with your condition. Can you afford to start out part time and ease yourself in? Being a single woman, I understand where you are coming from. We are an idependant breed. Is there someone who can help you a little financially since this will impact your recovery.......maybe a sibling? Many of us have someone we COULD ask but don't want to for various reasons. I have a brother who has never been married and is quite comfortable. We are extremely close. He is comfortable because he is financially tight. I HATE to ask for help. On the other hand, when he found out I had a bad fall on my ten year old rollator whose weight bearing brakes were shot, and broke a few small bones in a foot, he hit the roof and ordered me a new rollator. Medicare would not order me a weight bearing brake model and I can't use the hand brakes.

Are there any accomodations your employer can make to help you on the job? Did you have both surgeries? Take care, Sweetie. Gentle hugz and prayers.
Thank you so much for listening--not many understand my position or have an understanding as they have never gone through this. My employer has allowed me to get up anytime i need and take rest periods, but I really shouldn't be working. Unfortunately,, I dont have anyone in my immediate family that can help me, though my sister out of state stated I should move in with her, but would as a last resort, the reason I moved out of new orleans, was because I lost everything in Hurricane Katrina and vowed I would never live there again. Im hoping the pain will subside soon. I can relate about your muscles spasm, that is what mine are doing and knotting up, which causes excruciating pain, So far I havent run into any problems with getting needed medication, as they realize how invasive my surgery was. My surgery was all one shot, and had over 60 staples in all. I also have problems with my lumbar, but i wont be getting anymore back surgery in the future.
dakota67 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote