View Single Post
Old 04-28-2007, 07:37 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi twofish,
The ketogenic diet is a diet high in fat but low in carbs and protein. This diet helps build ketones in the body which helps stop seizures. The diet has been out since 1927 and it was used to help control epilepsy before all the meds came out. Today a lot of kids are on the diet and now they are using it on adults. A person has to weigh all their food on a gram scale I'm on a 4:1 ratio meaning I'm allowed to eat 4 grams of fat for every gram of protein. Instead of the body using sugar for energy it uses the fats. I've lost a lot of weight on this diet and it hasn't bothered my cholesterol at all. An average breakfast would be 2 eggs cooked in butter, 5 slices of bacon, or 2 slices of ham, 1 slice of toast with butter, and a glass of juice along with one cup of coffee or tea. You can buy the book titled: "The Epilepsy Diet Treatment" by Dr. John Freeman from Hopkins University. It explains the diet really well. I had a cousin who had gm sz. and during WWII he was flying airplanes and he never has a single sz. until he went off the diet. It works really good. You can see your local dietician to get more detail about the diet. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue
Porkette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote