Thread: prisms?
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 12:46 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christa View Post
Just curious what the general opinion is on having glasses made. Something Alice said in a different thread made me wonder if they are even helpful. I have been thinking about having a pair of glasses made to help with the double vision before I get in to a neuro. Does anyone have thoughts on this?
Hi Chista,

I am new to the group - not new to MG.

Unfortunately, as variable as MG is - symptoms are so similar yet - so different for each person. You are probably going to get lots of different answers on this question.

True to form, I have been advised differently - by different doctors about using prisms. I have followed my neuro-opthom doc's advice (and advice from a couple of other professionals) and have not ordered prisms or prism-type glasses.

My neuro-opthom doc's reasoning:
My MG symptoms and "degree" of double-vision fluctuate. Prisms may work at one time - and not at another.

My reasoning for not using prisms:
Medication, over-use of my eyes, how my head is positioned (I am not kidding) - and sometimes what I am wearing (kidding) can affect my double vision.

But - based on a previous response to your question - prisms have helped someone here with MG. So don't rule them out.

But personally, I would wait until I saw a neuro.

Good luck with your decision.
SoftTalker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
christa (10-30-2012)