View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 01:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yes, I've had 2 OPEN laminectomies, and if I had to do it over again, I would NOT go thru with it. I'm worse now than I was to begin with.

You must remember that surgery is NOT FOR PAIN. Surgery is ONLY for mechanical problems. Most of the time you're left with the same pain or worse. Also, the levels above and below the surgery site will fail, because they have to take on more of the load -- so eventually you will need more surgery. That's what happened to me. After the first surgery on L4-5, L3-4 failed. Then after the surgery on L3-4, L2-3 failed. And so on. I also have severe degenerative disc disease, along with osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, so I cannot have any more surgery. No doctor will even touch me anymore -- not even the HEADS of Neurosurgery in large hospitals.

Unless the spinal stenosis is to the point where you're in danger of permanent nerve damage, i think I would opt for physical therpy INSTEAD of surgery at this point. Studies have shown that people who have had surgery get the SAME RESULTS as those who have had physical therapy!!! And physical therapy is NOT invasive, so that's what i'd opt for, for sure!!! And it wouldn't put you in danger of needing further surgery.

I wish you the very best. Please let us know how you come out, will you please? We really DO care!! God bless & please take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (10-28-2012)