View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 01:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
B-Right by Jarrow has a nice formula.

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas...eggie-Caps/110

It has a modest formula with not too high levels of B6, and has activated folate, B6 and B12 in it. Of course the B12 is not really high enough for intense treatment.
You don't have to take this every day...you can do every other day or twice a week, to start, if the B6 worries you.

Many people over the years who have posted here have used it, with success. I believe it is available online at other places too, and perhaps Amazon now.

Those compounded injections, may not have a preservative in them, and in that case injecting them may be problematic. I'd call the compounding pharmacy up and ask. I hope you are keeping them in the refrigerator? Most of the time that storage is recommended.

What can happen with very high dose vitamin supplementation that lasts a long time, many months or years, there can be a vitamin dependency syndrome that occurs. This is one reason I don't recommend really high doses of anything.

Vit C was the first to be recognized as causing this. And I think it is possible with other vitamins. It involves the body "getting used" to very high doses, of some thing, and then over time the chemistry and enzymes, then "expect" this flood all the time. Withdrawing the vitamin then can cause deficiency symptoms. In the case of mega C dosing, trying to reduce may produce scurvy in some people.

http://orthomolecularvitamincentre.c.../dependencies/

Some dependencies may be inherited like B6 dependency in infants who have neonatal seizures, that respond to high dose B6. But cases of induced dependency also occur, for whatever reason.
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/985667-overview

http://books.google.com/books?id=QBJ...ndency&f=false

So I think it is important for you to find a dose, that works for you and keep it steady. Flooding systems here and there may not work over the long haul. Stopping and starting high dose apparently is not working well for you.
Thank you for replying, MrsD.

Well it appears I have a bad cold again. I had a severe sore throat last night. I'm taking some EmergenC today and trying to rest. Later I will try to get a bit of sun for natural vitamin D (it will be in the upper 80s here today, in Phoenix, AZ).

I appreciate your advice. I do keep the injection solution methylcobalamin refrigerated, yes. I don't think the injection did anything to me yesterday, aside from make my thigh muscle a little sore. I'm not going to continue to use it, but I do like to have it on hand as an "emergency."

Thanks for the info on vitamin dependencies. I knew about B6 dependency (I have read your B6 thread some time ago), but didn't know it can happen with virtually any nutrient. I'm wondering if this is what will happen to me with B12. This link (http://www.doctoryourself.com/dependency.html) also talks about vitamin dependency, and discusses well-known B3 enthusiast Dr. Abram Hoffer, who found that after treating POW victims who became severely nutrient deficient over a long term period of time, the victims needed unusually high amounts of vitamins on a long-term basis. Since I may have been B12 deficient for many years now, I'm wondering if my body is simply going to require high dose of this vitamin for the rest of my life. Although, I have read that, after a period where some people take 10mg a day, that it may not be for life one would need that much all the time. It takes time to replenish the liver, and I'm sure within the first six months to a year, that part of the megadose goes to both nerve repairs and liver replenishment.

I will try sticking to doses of 1-to-2 X 5000 mcg per day and see how I feel. I can't imagine needing any more than that. Besides, that gets expensive. Shots are very expensive, too, which is why I don't want to continue them for life, if the high-dose sublinguals will work just as well if not better.

I met a man I was possibly going to rent a room from, who after I told him I was B12 deficient, told me that a long time ago was diagnosed with pernicious anemia. He takes only 1,000 mcg/day of sublingual B12, each and every morning but this is after doing this for quite some time I imagine. He does fine on it. No shots. (I don't believe.)

Again, a lot of this is likely antidepressant withdrawal issues. I can't believe I spent all those years putting all those toxins into my nervous system, all the while depriving it (of course not by my own fault or means ... I suspect this all came about for me from using proton pump inhibitors for years, not knowing the potential damage that could cause down the road) of a nerve vitamin.

5 - 10 mg of B12 should be OK, I am thinking and hoping. About the other Bs, I am not sure... I have check out Jarrow's B Right but read mixed reviews. I do like the methylated and co-enzymated forms of the Bs, but I don't like some of the negative reviews I read such as the packaging (the plastic bottling) contains a plastic that is carcinogenic? And that also one of the fillers in the pill is carcinogenic? I don't know how true this is or to what degree it is a potential problem. Also, it contains straight niacin, which can cause a flush sensation. I have never experienced one of these, but have read about them, and, knowing my super-sensitive self, could imagine myself freaking out and having a full-blown panic attack from such an instance. If it only contained niacinamide (which, ironically, is spposedly good at quelling panic and anxiety, in fact valium is said to be modeled after the chemical structure of niacinamide), then I may consider it.

Thanks again for the info.

Jason
julleri is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote