Old 10-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse M View Post
Thanks, mrsD -very helpful information -and one that puts my mind at ease. I have another question.

I am certainly paranoid about putting anything in my body that might harm or aggravate my PN pains -this is why I do NOT take any gabapenten/Neurotin, Elavil or anything other than my low-level Clonazepam and vitamins. But here's something that has been bothering me.

...Get ready to laugh - I have been avoiding any foods with the vitamin "B6" in it. I was taking a "Men's Daily Vitamin" before I got Cipro Toxicity but stopped afterward, because I did some research that states that too much B6 could actually harm your nerves and worsen your PN, especially if your nerves are already damaged...

Now, I figure I'm getting enough regular B6 from food as it is since I eat a whole bunch of stuff like meat and grains and such. But I make it a priority to avoid bought foods that have B6 added to it.

For example I gave up my waffles, pop-tarts, and all cereals, because B6 is added to them.

In tow, I also have recently stopped using Fluoride toothpaste and rely on regular teeth brushing with an anti-gingiervits "non-Fluoride" mouthwash. This is because "fluoride" is one of the ingredients that make Cipro poisoning so toxic.

I don't know if this is paranoid behavior or not, but I'm just acting on my "better safe, than sorry" impulse here.

I'm curious what you think of this.
To be frank, one thing you should be considering is the use of your benzodiazepine drug Clonazepam. And at a high dose at that, IMO.

Long term use of benzos leads to tolerance, and as the benzo wears off, until the next dose, there are mini-withdrawal symptoms. These are almost identical to most PN symptoms.

So eventually you will have to face that Clonazepam realistically.
I discuss mini-withdrawal on this post:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/post924688-17.html

Also a poster here found Diazepam worked in the short run, but in the long run was a problem for her:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/post601718-5.html

Clonazepam and diazepam are very similar. They both have antiseizure properties, and must be tapered off slowly. Very slowly. Sudden withdrawal of benzos can cause seizures in some people. Because they are antiseizure they work on nerves to dampen signals. When they wear off, that releases the nerves to a more excited state, and it can be worse than before. So it becomes a vicious cycle.

This is where you should direct your paranoia, IMO. And it won't be easy or quick to taper off this dose you are on.
The beginning dose of clonazepam (Klonopin) is .25 to .5mg and you are using 2mg a day. A low dose would be .5mg at bedtime.
Dosing is RELATIVE to the drug used. Just because yours is 1mg does not mean it is "low" by any means.

It is wonderful that you got rid of the PopTarts...I don't see how anyone can eat those. Getting rid of PopTarts, sugary carbs, etc really helps with blood sugar. You can still have old fashioned unflavored Oatmeal.
That has lots of staying power, no sugar added, and soluble fiber for GI health and some cholesterol control. Add a little cinnamon and you are doing well. Most cereals have sugar added...even the Quaker Instant Oatmeal ones. Low fat dressings have surprising sugar content, and may spaghetti sauces are filled with sugar.

Tapering off Benzos like clonazepam is difficult and unpleasant and if done too fast, dangerous. Many patients eventually find that they have
to quit them for one reason or another. This is why they are less prescribed today than 10 yrs ago.
You should be supervised by a doctor if any taper is attempted.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 10-29-2012 at 02:44 PM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote