Thread: Falling over
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 03:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I fall in two ways. Most commonly, my legs can't hold me up, and I slowly go down into a squat. It's not really falling. It looks like I'm doing it on purpose. Or sometimes my knees buckle, and the same thing happens, only a bit more quickly.

I also fall occasionally when I lose my balance. It took me months to figure out what was going on. I believe that my balance troubles come from weak muscles in my sides and back. When you walk, the top half of you naturally swings back and forth a bit--from the waist up. But it's a controlled swing: you swing just a bit, and then your muscles clench up so you don't just keep going. But if those muscles are weak, they don't do their job--they don't catch you. So you swing too far and overbalance yourself, and the weight of your top half pulls you over, and you start to fall. When you notice you're starting to fall, all sorts of muscles kick in to help you catch yourself--but if those muscles are weak, too, then down you go.

I'm sure there are other ways of falling. That's just my own personal way : ).

Abby
in Rhode Island, where the storm has just begun to hit--if you don't hear from me for a few days, I've just lost power! Not my own personal power, but the electrical kind.
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
pingpongman (10-29-2012), wild_cat (10-30-2012)