Thread: Falling over
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

wild_cat, I'm sorry you're sad. Whatever the reason, whether it's MG or other stuff, I hope you have family and friends to lean on.

I'm like Jana with falling. I also have damage to one ankle from a car accident and peripheral neuropathy in ankles feet from a B12 deficiency. For me, having the best footwear is essential. I often have "foot drop" and can easily trip. I've taken a few headers onto the floor due to that. Some people are afraid of choking but I think falling and not breathing well are my top 2 MG issues.

Lately, my legs aren't holding a contraction well between Mestinon doses. I have to waddle from side to side, leg to leg, in order to walk until it kicks in. That reminds me of something Abby said once about her gait. I have some atrophy but it's mainly MG weakness that does it.

I guess the thing I would suggest, besides speaking to your neuro, is setting yourself up to keep from falling. Try to get rid of any clutter in the way of where you walk. Rugs can be a real problem. Make sure you're getting enough rest and not doing too much walking if your legs are getting too weak.

Since everyone who has MG is different, a discussion with your neuro about why you are prone to falling or what you can do is a good idea. And I'm serious about this next thought. If you can get trained on "how to fall," that's a good idea too. Those of us who have been horse riders, and there are a few of us with MG who are, know how to and it really helps to reduce any injuries. Skiers usually know too.

If you do fall, you should get checked out. I have a problem in the winter when my feet get colder and my footwear gets looser. Last December, I fell and didn't even know I injured my toe. My big toenail didn't grow for months. And the bruise on my hip was the worst I've ever had. You can't tell from the outside how badly you've been hurt, so if you do fall, see your doctor, urgent care or the ER, depending on how bad the fall was. I solved the cold foot/shoe problem (I only wear sandals) by getting FlyFlot shoes. They have either velcro fasteners or hooks and eyes to make them smaller. They're so well made and comfortable too.

Do you like music? That often will put me in a better mood. I hope you feel better soon.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
wild_cat (10-30-2012)