Thread: Falling over
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 06:19 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you very much for your replies.

In the absence of a diagnosis it is far too easy to push yourself and I think this may be the reason why I have been falling a lot. I was encouraged to do graded exercise but it just seems to make me worse and worse. I must have fallen a thousand times in the last three years. Its taken me all this time and fourteen trips to A&E to accept I need to use a wheelchair, which is a complete nuisance because my arms aren't strong enough for me to propel myself.

I have been told my falling is often quite graceful and soft looking. Sometimes I believe if I ignore the increasing weakness in my legs I can push through it, but it always backfires on me and then none of my limbs work and I end up falling on my face. If I let myself go when I first am getting weak, the knees buckle, and sometimes I can catch it in a squat. But too often I try to keep going and then my whole body goes, a bit like one of those collapsing wooden giraffes children play with. I am trained as a dancer/choreographer so I know all about falling - in fact I did so much of it I ended up using it in a performance I was directing!

Its interesting about the muscles not contracting. I've spent ages trying to relax my buttock muscles when I'm standing. I can't work out whether this is normal or not, but basically if I don't hold all the muscles really tight then my legs just give way.

I'm not under the care of a neuro at the moment but I'm seeing my GP tomorrow so I hope I will get a referral. I'm worried he won't take me seriously.

I love music. I play the piano, but recently my arms have become really bad and I haven't been able to play. That makes me really sad!

Thank you for your kind wishes.

wild_cat
wild_cat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote