Thread: neck issues
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 08:54 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yeah. In the early days, when I was still trying to get a diagnosis, every time I went to a neurologist he'd test my neck strength by putting his hand on my forehead and having me push back. It would take me a weak to recover.

Why didn't I just tell them, "I don't want to do that test, because it gives me neck strain and pain for a week afterwards?" I dunno. I certainly would advise others to say that! I think it was because I was so desperate for a diagnosis, and so afraid that I'd be dismissed as a "merely" psychological case, that I just did whatever the doctors said.

My current neurologist isn't perfect. It's hard to get him to move on things. But I am so very grateful that he takes me seriously, and that he takes me at my word when I describe symptoms that he has never witnessed, that it would take a lot to make me give him up. I've heard so many heart-breaking stories here of doctors who simply don't believe their patients, or refuse to acknowledge symptoms that are obvious. My muscle weakness has never shown up on most doctors' tests, because they don't test long enough. Only one neuro--the one who diagnosed me--made me sustain the push long enough that the muscles gave out.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote