View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 12:23 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Trophy

[QUOTE=jana;927026]Well............I was soooooooo worried about this that I got TESTED -- by a neuro-psychologist -- a couple of years ago. He said that my IQ was INTACT -- but, that I DID have some memory "issues". Couldn't explain WHY -- but, said I did NOT have Alzheimer's or any sort of "progressive" dementia. My neuro had already done extensive bloodwork (to rule out other causes) and had done an MRI. Soooooo, I'm left with memory problems and "no known cause" -- although IN MY HEART (notice I didn't say IN MY BRAIN ), I feel my memory issues are due to MG.

Hi Jana,

Wow, I too had a neuro-psych test done because I thought I was getting early-onset Alzheimer's. (Due to the intensity of the testing, I had this test done over a three-day period). And MRI's and lot of other tests......

My neuro-psychologist ALSO said that my IQ was pretty good, but, he did see some definite memory issues.

I can't remember the exact issues (LOL) not intended as a pun......

One of my memory issues was displayed while I was performing a problem solving task; e.g., I analyzed and figured out one model, and the next model was similar yet "different" - think: "same characters, new names". He said I had to figure out the issue all over again - and it took longer to figure out the problem. Doc said I "should have" remembered what I had just figured out.

I forget the other issues he found. (I have a copy of report filed, will look for it).

The neuro-psych doc says there are not many definitive medical articles regarding MG and memory issues - however the ones he found definitely had concluded that many MG patients report AND show some type of verified memory deficits.

I asked him if my fatigue from the long process of testing may have affected the test itself - and my memory?

He smiled at me. And said HE had done the testing and interpretation - but that he thought I really had part of the problem figured out.

On the other hand, my memory waxes and wanes, and can seem impaired even when I have been at rest.

I have problems reading; now if I read novel, for example, I make a cheat-sheet so I don't need to keep "reading back" to remember WHO that a particular character is.

I have problems hearing and retaining (and sometimes understanding) what I have just heard. Now I am a Very Extensive Note-Taker. And I ask questions.

I agree, Jana, in my heart I know MG affects (at least my own) memory. I just don't know why. The doctors and researchers don't know.

And - now, I try not to focus or worry too much about my memory problems.

Unless, of course, I am trying to remember something.
SoftTalker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote