View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 01:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks , Sally & mrsD:

I was told Elavil as well as Gabapentin can cause permanent nerve damage, especially if you get swelling (Edema) - I won't take anything that has even the slightest risk of that. That's just how I am.

As for the "added B6" - yeah, I think it's added on unhealthy foods to make them appear healthier. I'll still keep my distance from them though -as avoiding them might help me manage my weight anyway. (I'm just over 6 feet and weighed nearly 285 pounds just a few months ago. I'm now 240 pounds and still have a long way to go.)

For a very short time when I was suffering with a prostate infection -I had upped my Clonazepam to 2 MG per day, but that was only for about a week and a half. I cut it to 0.5 a day -then upped it again to 1Mg a day after the PN pains hit.

I really hope to be well enough to be off of all drugs soon. My plan is to work with my doctors to wean me off of it as my PN pains decrease.

I was asked once in group therapy - that even if my PN pains faded out - what would I do about my anxiety? Would I still take the Clonazepam?

My answer to that is no. I realize that anxiety is uncomfortable and aggravating at times but it's nothing compared to PN -or drug dependency. Anxiety attacks pass -I know this. So if I get anxiety in the future -and I'm sure I will, I'll just weather the storm -it will pass and I'll be glad I can deal with it in some other way that does NOT include meds.

I'm an artist and author, so I have some work that keeps my mind off of stress and anxiety most of the time. However, some other sources of stress are hard to avoid and stress for people with PN usually equals pain - at least for some of us, some of the time.

On a personal note that I'm sure some people here can relate with -
I have a spouse that nags quite a bit, and if you've been in a relationship with a person like this for years, the stress of it takes its toll on you, especially if they drink alcohol a lot. ...Basically, even for men, verbal abuse can stress anyone out if exposed to it for years. Though on her behalf - I'm sure that living with someone mentally "compromised" isn't easy either. LOL

That noted, I recently learned to humor through most of the arguing and such -to a point now where this kind of thing doesn't bother me much. I would think this mental transition needs to take place if we are to keep our minds healthy and free of anxiety.

In fact, just knowing that anxiety WILL pass in of itself will be enough for me.
Jesse M is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote