View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 01:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftTalker View Post
I can't remember the exact issues (LOL) not intended as a pun...... memory issues.

One of my memory issues was displayed while I was performing a problem solving task; e.g., I analyzed and figured out one model, and the next model was similar yet "different" - think: "same characters, new names". He said I had to figure out the issue all over again - and it took longer to figure out the problem. Doc said I "should have" remembered what I had just figured out.

I forget the other issues he found. (I have a copy of report filed, will look for it).

The neuro-psych doc says there are not many definitive medical articles regarding MG and memory issues - however the ones he found definitely had concluded that many MG patients report AND show some type of verified memory deficits.
You just jogged my memory!! One of the tests I took involved numbers. The neuro-psych read out increasingly longer lists of single digit numbers -- and I was supposed to put them in order and repeat them back to him. (Cannot remember what this test was called.) I did HORRIBLE!! And I used to be a MATH TEACHER!! Also, he read stories and then asked me to repeat what I had heard, with as much detail as possible. Also, BOMBED this one. But, I had no problem with the pencil and paper tasks and the manipulation tasks (such as putting tiles in the same pattern as the pictures). Another test involved remembering words. He gave me increasingly greater lists of words. I was ok with the list of 4 or 5 -- it got worse with longer lists. Funny, though, I WAS able to count backwards by threes -- and to subtract two digit numbers in my head. So, my brain isn't total mush. If I hadn't done so well on the IQ portions, I have a feeling he would have told me I DID have Alzheimer's or some kind of progressive dementia.

I had done research on studies involving MG and memory before talking to my neuro about getting tested. It was about six of one, half dozen of another saying that there was a correlation. My MG guy leaned towards the meds (such as prednisone and immune suppressants) causing the memory problems. Since I don't take these, he was reluctant to blame my "stoopidity" on MG. He's still my favorite doc.