View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 10:05 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thanks to all for the replies and kind words!

Sorry I haven't checked back in to let you know how things went. I'm a horrible correspondent!

I did get a second opinion which confirmed the first and also discussed "the domino effect" with the surgeon. He said that there are no guarantees, esp with extensive DDD, but he believes I should be able to get 5+ years before I have to have another. I'm not sure that's great, but decided the risk was worth it because the pain and weekness were getting worse.

I had the first surgery on the thoracic spine on 4 Sept and it seems to have gone well. While I woke up in horrible pain right after the surgery (I felt like I'd been hit by a Mac truck), the pain in my arm and neck were immediately gone (although I didn't notice it right away because of the other pain!). The first week was the worst, but I've made steady progress since. The surgeon decided to put the second (lumbar) surgery off until after he could judge my progress at 6 weeks. It's now scheduled for 13 November. The most suprising change was that right after the surgery, the tingling/numbness/burning that I've had in my face and head for 2 1/2 yrs disappeared for about 3 weeks. It started to come back, but has since gotten better again. The neuro said that was a unexpected bonus. I still have the pain in my chest. It seems to be getting better, but then I'm not doing anything strenuous, so I'm waiting to see how it all goes in the long run.

With the progress and delay in scheduling the next surgery, I've been able to go back to work part-time for about 16 hours a week. It's mostly computer work and the office has been very supportive. I'm being careful not to overdo things nonetheless.

I'm a little more concerned about the lumbar surgery because the weekness in my legs is getting worse and I'm concerned the recovery will be harder. Nevertheless, I'm staying positive and remaining grateful for the the wonderful support network I have (including you all!).

I'll be sure to write sooner next time and let you know how the next surgery goes.
Thanks again for all your interest and I hope you are doing well or at least better
lal209 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (10-31-2012)