View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 08:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Frown My mother's story - my heart is breaking for her

Oct 5 I got a call from my dad that my mother (65) was at the ER as she wasn't feeling 'right'. I went to meet her and she was just waiting for the results of her brain scan. Her arm and shoulder just started moving/flailing about. The CAT scan showed no cancer, evidence of a stroke or other abnormalities. They gave her a referral to a neuro and send her home.

2 days later she is worse, arm, leg, shoulder and face on the left side all jerking around, almost non stop. She went to the hospital as the underside of her whole arm got red and would not go away.

Went to neuro and he did some basic testing, watched her and talked to her. on THAT day her movements were more 'sinewy' and less jerky. She had about 4 good days where things were slowing down. He recommended an MRI and asked her to call and report on the trend of it getting better or worse. She had an MRI on Friday morning and by the afternoon they called her back and made another appt for the coming Monday. They did a contrast MRI that day. By Tuesday afternoon the neuro said he wanted to see her.

My parents and I went and she was told there was a lesion in the center of her brain that controls movement. He said she had something called hemiballisums/hemichorea (sp?). What they don't know is if this was brought on by a stroke or hypergylecima. She is a type 2 diabetic. HOWEVER he told us that usually a person would have high blood sugars then this would happen, they would be put on insulin and the movements would get better or lessen. But, she started on insulin about 2 weeks before the hemiballisums started.

His plan, at the moment, is (a) start her on tetrabenazine (she will start at 1/2 a pill once a day and then build up to 1 pill 3 times a day but it will take quite a few weeks to get there) (b) he video taped her to show to his mentors (c)he is going to consult with his team at the hospital and an endocrinologist.

She is beyond exhausted with this movement and it has been a month of dealing with this.

Does anyone have any input? Any stories? Articles to read etc.

If so, it would be greatly appreciated.

L.
LesleyMcg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote