View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 08:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephC View Post
Yes or no? I mean just to take the edge off, like glass wine or (large) lemon drop martini type drink. I started seeing therapist once week, two which os great (did as precaution never before) but talking about MG doesnt make up for every 24/7 moment i have to live with this illness. Seems would be better than taking anti-depressants?
Well...first, be careful. Guess what alcohol does: it disrupts communication between the nerves and the muscles. So alcohol + myasthenia can be like alcohol + alcohol. Or like myasthenia + myasthenia. You get the idea. So if you drink, be really cautious. See how a little bit affects you. Don't assume that because you had a glass of wine last week and it didn't bring on MG symptoms, that you'll always react the same way.

Second, I always worry about people who drink to treat depression, or to treat an emotional or mental problem of any sort. That's how alcoholics are made. Of course I'm not saying that anyone who has a glass of wine to "take the edge off" is headed towards alcoholism! I'm just saying, again, be careful.

It's funny that you ask about this, because my husband and I recently got it into our heads that we could go out and have a beer together at night after the kids are in bed (we have big people around to babysit, don't worry!). But I am afraid that when he has to practically carry me out of the bar--which he might have to do even if all I had was a coke--we'll make a real scene! Because I sure do look drunk when my MG is giving me a hard time.

For what it's worth, I've read that people who drink wine regularly are less prone to rheumatoid arthritis, which I personally am worried about getting some day. RA is an autoimmune disease. Maybe alcohol has an effect on the immune system.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
StephC (11-04-2012)