View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 06:27 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Breathing difficulties

Hi everyone.
I've been having increasing difficulties breathing over the last weeks and I wanted to ask you if you have any advice for me on how I can manage it. Since I became unwell three years ago I have a feeling of pressure on the left lower side of my rib cage, as if someone where pressing on it. This sensation waxes and wanes depending on how good or bad a day I am having. When I try to take a deep breath this pressure prevents me from expanding my chest properly. At times my breathing becomes awfully shallow and sporadic, as if I need to remind myself to breathe on every breath, the air feeling thick and heavy.
In the last days I have been having big problems at night. I was taken to hospital in the early hours of Saturday morning following three episodes of what I can only describe as a folding or collapsing sensation in this area on the left lower side of my rib cage. They did a chest CT and bloods which were clear and then subjected me to three neuro exams in the space of six hours, which exhausted me completely, especially my eyes. They discharged me on the basis I am currently being referred to a neuro who will think of doing a tensilon test as they are guessing with my other muscle weakness that the breathing issues are diaphragmatic.
I have since been trying to sleep upright but now I am getting very breathless even in this position. As I begin to fall asleep I wake up gasping for breath. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm scared if I go to sleep I will stop breathing altogether.
Thanks for your thoughts,
wild_cat
wild_cat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote