View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 12:11 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Post-concussion related, feeling worse and worse.

I got a concussion about 3 weeks ago. During a hockey game, my head got checked and I smashed it into the boards, lost consciousness and then hit my shoulder and face on the ice.

All in all I got:

- a broken nose
- a broken cheekbone
- a perforated sinus
- 4 of my teeth have gone numb
- damaged shoulder ligaments + damaged rotator cuff
- concussion (loss of consciousness for 5-8 minutes)

I've been looking around on internet at stuff on post-concussion syndrome and it looks like I got one hell of a blow. I lost consciousness for about 5-8 minutes and that, according to the rankings of degrees of concussions, is pretty serious.

Now, I felt great 1-2 days after the concussion, when I was at the hospital and the first day at home, felt ok, no headache, nothing.

BUT, things have drastically changed.

So anyway I've been going to the physio, I've had 2 sessions so far, he's been working on my shoulder quite a bit.

But my head is what's getting pretty bad. At first, 1-2 weeks after the injury, I felt ok, mild headaches during the day and especially when I woke up, tired all the time even though I had been sleeping 7-8+ hours, a bit of trouble focusing in class but it was ok, it was bearable.

Now, 3 weeks later, I'm feeling worse. Went to the physio on Wednesday, told him that the symptoms were still there (headache, trouble reading long texts, everything kinda goes blurry after a few lines, etc...) and he said there's no way I can start sports again and that we'd see next week.

I hope that a month is all it'll take but I'm starting to worry now. I really feel "different", I can definitely feel something is not right.

Anyway, on friday, being the biggest ******* in the world, I decided to go to the gym. I just wanted to see how it would go. So the first few minutes of the warmup (stationary biking) went ok, I virtually put no resistance. After about 8 minutes I decided to put some resistance. 3-5 minutes later I'm feeling like shyt, huge headache, feeling not well at all. Got off the bike and I decided to do a leg workout (since I couldn't work on my upperbody cuz of the shoulder injury). I don't know why (certainly cuz I'm an idiot) but I did the whole workout and I felt like absolut ****. I felt dizzy after every set, felt very light headed, big headache, I almost fainted after my last lunge set. It felt like I was in another dimension the whole workout. I was listening to a podcast, I seriously couldn't focus on anything, I can't even remember a word from the podcast. Usually I remember everything.

I know I'm a ******* ******* and that I shouldn't even have gone to the gym in the first place. It's just that I'm sick and tired of this crap, I so badly want to return playing. What sucks is that the hospital said that after 2 weeks I can start again but the physio, who's worked a lot with hockey players that have had concussions said no way. I should have listened to him, I'm an idiot.

Since then, I've been feeling like ****.

One last point. It seems like computer screens give me a headache now. After about 15-20 minutes, I get a headache.

Also the physio asked me if my smell or my hearing had been affected and I said I didn't think so. He said that was a good sign.

Last edited by Chemar; 11-05-2012 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Please don't try to bypass the language filters!
pertiman22 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote