View Single Post
Old 04-29-2007, 12:46 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Welcome Mylou - this is Ak kid - alias - Kim :-)

I too am a vet with a very similar experience both with my injury - I was in the Army, I injured my back after my unit went out on a FTX - I was assigned the M-60 (was the smallest person in the unit so was assigned the largest weapon) and patrolled with that hunk for three days. I spent all three days in the field - upon return my unit did a PT test - where my back went out on me - literally. A L5-S1 herniation with S1 neural formal stenosis and SI Joint injury - (after I injured my back during the situps I continued on with the run - macho woman huh....if I could do it over - after my back popped I wish I would have stopped but I didn't. That was 11 years ago - now the L5-S1 herniation turned into DDD - then I reinjured my back from a fall in 2004 - now have L5-L3 herniations, osteophytes at L5-S1, Neural Formal stenosis at L5-S1 thru L3 and now I have arthritis in my L5 thru the L3 and Osteoarthritis in both SI Joints and have to walk with a cane now. And had to have surgery on my right shoulder because of my dependence on the cane aggravated my A/C joint.

So what I am saying is.....from what your MRI is saying is that there is degeneration in your back. What was explained to me is, when there is an injury that involves some bone (because the ddd - my L5-S1 there is no more cushion and the bones rub back and forth) your body tries to fix itself, and the osteophytes that grow (bone spurs) is your body trying to do just that. What stands out to me in your MRI is the narrowing of the nerve roots at the L4-L5.

If you want to *see what is going on in your back I have a good website for you to visit. Email me and I will pass on the website.

You are in a good place here - for support whenever you need it. Welcome.

As for your pain - when is your pain at it's greatest, while walking, sitting, standing? A ice pack at your lower back will help while driving, or a pillow to hold in that place. I no longer can drive - or ride in a vehicle for that matter.

You can learn how to cope with your pain, learn your triggers and avoid them, learn about what helps and what doesn't - for me the principals of PRICE help me daily (Prevention, Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation), living by the principals of a anti-inflammatory diet, stretching at least 30 minutes everyday, 8 or more glasses of water to keep my body and joints hydrated and some medications.

You will find that pain does come in flares, you will have good days and bad days, the cold weather will affect you (but ice packs help) hot baths and saunas work wonders on your body and aromatherapy and massage therapy become part of your daily life. But learn what helps you best - every individual is different, pain affects people differently - what hurts me and knocks me down may not affect you. A tens unit will help with the muscle pain that accompanies the lower back pain.

I wish you good luck - all the best wishes and hope to hear from you soon.

Kim
Life is a series of mountains and valleys, some days we travel up the mountain effortlessly, some days we fall into the valley - what's important is.....we get up and climb that mountain again ~Quote by Julia Diemientieff, my Grandmother....Yup'ik Elder from Bethel, Alaska
AK Kid is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote