View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 11:58 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default So sorry about your pain

Annie--I have a similar story. When I was 15 years old, I was diagnosed with a S curve scoliosis and had one rod put in my back to hold my spinal fusion from my midback to L5-S1. That surgery was done in the 70s and the technology was limited (flat back syndrome). So after having 2 children at age 28, I had 2 surgeries to reconstruct my spine. The first one, the surgeons went in through my side, removed a rib, deflated my lung and took out my old rod. They cut wedges in my spine to make it flexible so they could do the 2nd surgery.

A week later they opened up my entire spine and fused from the base of my neck to L5/S1. They totally redid my spine with 5 rods and 33 clips and pins. I lived in a full body brace with part of it going down my leg for 6 months. A year later I was walking with a walker and in constant pain. I had two small children at the time. After recieving prayer, Jesus gave me mercy and health to have a good quality of life to be a mom! After prayer, I was so much better!! I kept feeling better for the next 17 years!!

Then 3 years ago something very strange happened. In the matter of a couple of weeks, I developed "drop foot" in my right leg. Everyday it got worse for 2 weeks--I could not lift up my right foot/toes well because of partial paralysis. The doctors don't really know what happened but suspect L5/S1 compromise with the nerves. Since then I have developed neuropathy in both legs and arms, fibromyalgia, much pain and still have the drop foot. Ugh.

The doctors showed me in the x-ray that I have developed arthritis in my neck and in my hips. They said that my hips are "fusing" together. The neck and hips are stressed because they are the only parts of my body that move. I am 70 lbs overweight. I recently lost 23 lbs. It is very hard to lose weight because I have difficulty walking more than 200 yards.

My advice to you is that if you are overweight do your best to lose the weight while you are young to avoid developing severe arthritis when you are older. If you can, keep your weight down. Also, keep active as much as you can. Strong muscles help hold the spine and posture and entire body. Being stronger and lighter also helps you avoid having problems with your knees and ankles (I have inflamed feet and ankles). Also, you can never have too much healing prayer. Prayer/Jesus is my only hope because the doctors say that I have too much instrumentation to have any more surgeries.

I thought it might help hearing an older person's similar story so that is why I posted. God bless you--praying for you.
kathymack is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote