View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Laugh

Congrats on the trial date being set!!

I'm excited for you! By now, I'm sure you've gathered that the support here is fantastic You won't be alone as you go thru this, that's fer sure.

How many days will you be on the trial? Seems everybody's have a little bit of variation, as each Dr likes to do these things a little bit different.
The jist of it is mainly the same tho, as you've seen thus far in your responses.

If you have utmost confidence in your Dr and have a good relationship with him/her, then you've pretty much got it made in the shade

Rae

Here's a copy/paste from what I posted on Ashley's thread since she asked the same question.........Call me lazy, which I'll certainly admit to!

Good communication is KEY to a successful trial. You will need to know what he will be doing to you while on the operating table, so that you can do your part in accurately describing where you are feeling the stimulation, or if you are 'not' feeling the stimulation where it should be. It's a 3-way teamwork when the moment comes for the Rep to turn on the unit, but it's you who will call the shot because only you can feel the stim.

Normally, when you get in the OR, the anesthesiologist will put you in what is called a 'twilight daze', meaning you are not all the way out of it. Rather, you'll be sedated just enough to be able to comfortably withstand the procedure, yet awake enough to be able to know what's happening and able to communicate to the OR team, and the Rep from the manufacterer of your SCS.

For me, during the procedure, there were a few times when it became uncomfortable as the local anesthesia seemed to wear down and I could feel the needle and/or the incision. All I had to do was mumble 'ouuuch' and he'd shoot me with more local to better numb the area. They are usually pretty good in keeping the patient comfortable. Again tho, this is why it's crucial to have good communication.

When you first go home from the procedure you may feel a bit overwhelmed because of the procedure itself and trying to decifer the surgical pain vs your original pain condition. Completely normal. Allow your body to be 'mad' at first, concentrate on laying on ice and rest the first day or so. In no time tho, you'll be up for tinkering with the controls and doing things around the house to get an idea of how you will fare with this. By day 3, I was completely in LOVE with the whole thing and thrilled once it became apparent that the stimulation was covering over my RSD/neuropathy pain.

Hope this helps somewhat

Rae

Last edited by Rrae; 11-07-2012 at 09:04 PM. Reason: add more info
Rrae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon21816 (11-08-2012), Mark56 (11-11-2012), SnowWhyte (11-07-2012)