View Single Post
Old 04-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Sunshyn,

I can relate to the part about your partner. This may or may not apply to you but it was very helpful for me.

Although my husband is very loving it sometimes seemed that he did not understand. And he would get mad when i would tell him I was in pain. So one night i sat him down and we had a long talk. I told im I did not apreciate the responses he was giving me when he asked how I was feeling. And the lack of compassion sometimes when I was in pain and he just told me to get up and try harder or maybe get some exercise.

When we talked he told me that he was afraid. That this was not only changing my life but his and well and it was not that he did not love me or wnat me not ot hurt or not understand. He was just afraid. He also told me that he had noone to really talk to, that was my job as his best friend and wife. So he felt he always had to be strong for me and could not talk to anyone about how ths was affecting his life as he used to know it. And sometimes he said that he just did not know what to say because anything he did say I would disagree with or it made it worse. He eas afraid that our life would never be the same.

I so did not realize the impact this was having on him and that his best friend was not there for him. And I did not realize I was not the only one scared and in pain in some way.

So I told him that he could still talk to me and we were in it together and would figure it out. And I always try to be sensitive to the above information and let him know he is not alone. And I let him vent when he needs to and I try to listen to him and not make it all about me. Funny it makes me feel better when i can be there for him.

So stop for a moment and think and reflect about how your illness/injury/disease is affectng you and maybe affecting your partner. Sometimes your partner may just need to vent and may just need your to listen to them for a moment. It wont make your pain less but it may make your relationship stronger and more compassionate.

So I am not assuming your situation is the same but some of the above may help. No worries if it does not as all of our life situations and illnesses are unique to each of us.

watsonsh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Honolulu Robin (05-27-2009)