View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 04:18 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark, my pleasure. I found out that I needed to take this step at my own speed, much as I expect most of us do. I contacted one of those well - meaning people who had been praying for me. He said, "Call if you ever need anything," so I did. We had lunch together, and it was really very pleasant, and not uncomfortable at all. We both came to the conclusion that spending so much time alone wasn't a good thing, it was really part of the recipe for living a defeated life. Eventually there were a couple friends that I got together with, and then had a talk with my family. First with my wife, who told me straight out that I was depressed, which had never even occurred to me. But, rather than be defensive I decided that, since she loves me and has put up with me for nearly 28 years, I should believe her. I made the appointment and from then on I started getting better. Dr. Greenburg turned out to be easier to talk with than anyone I'd ever met, she didn't pump for information, she just seemed to know where to 'steer' me. I found out that I'd likely been depressed since I was a child, and that I am also challenged by PTSD. One might think that hearing all of this on top of my medical issues I'd feel worse, but the opposite occurred. I began to get better. My progress in the past year has been such that I can truly appreciate the opportunity that I'm being given in this medical trial, and I just feel blessed in every part of my life. It all starts with a single step, and it progresses the same way. I hope this rings a bell with anyone who feels that they're on that never - ending upward escalator where there feels like little progress is happening. One step, one thought, one day at a time and a better life is only a few days away!

Markjens
markjens is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon21816 (11-09-2012), Mark56 (11-12-2012), Rrae (11-08-2012)