View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 11:27 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Cerebellum Tonsillar Ectopia

I was recently diagnosed with Cerebellum Tonsillar Ectopia. (Sorry, there is no shorter word so I'll call it CTE). I had an MRI scan to determine why I was having seizures, and am improving with the help of medication. As I have browsed the internet, many reputable sources (NIMH, NIH, etc.) as well as recent scholarly sources were saying that the depth of the tonsillar herniation defined as 5mm> for Chiari Malformation Type I, and <5mm for CET did not matter as much as symptomology and treatment. I have over 22 symptoms for Chiari and possibly 2 more, which is way more than those suffered by someone with Chiari. I do not like the idea of self-diagnosis. I have emailed a couple of hospital websites that do surgery for Chiari patients. I am interested because my memory loss is quite poor, my depression is so severe (and very drug resistant) that I know I have to do something before I break. And I have read that these decompression surgeries reduce or alleviate many symptoms. Does anyone know of any good hospitals specializing in treatment for Chiari Malformation Type I which would be well suited to assess if surgery is viable or necessary?
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (11-09-2012), Mari (11-09-2012), mymorgy (11-09-2012)