View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 10:38 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Well, I am skeptical of all advice, not just that from conventional medicine. My mother has been to about 5 neurologists and all of them basically prescribed Sinemet, but with different doses. She had at least two of them carefully consider her diagnosis.

My mother had side effects on the pills (or at least it correlates, and she does seem to be partly responding to a lower dosage), and we only discovered this after doing our own due diligence. Despite all the side effects listed on the drug, which my mother was having; side effects from the drug were never even considered or mentioned by her neuro until I started to bring it up.

I would think that since this is supposedly a highly "individualistic" disease, different people may respond to different treatments. Yet this does not seem to be what the neurologists say. I do see a lot of evidence online of folks who seemingly respond to other treatments. Its not like I am aware of any cures, so its just treating symptoms anyway. It seems like the meds are a sledgehammer often used to treat very minor symptoms. My mother has not had, and never has had, any symptoms so far as I can tell from Parkinsons itself, perhaps other than a slow walk. In fact before her increase in dosage, we never even considered she had any PD symptoms, thankfully. That's what got the ball rolling on examing the medication more closely. So I would imagine that some strength training, some movement training, etc. may do her very well for her condition.
egghead5 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote