View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 05:25 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Sarafina,

I'm sorry you are going through this. It has got to be tough to back at your parents house, ( no matter how great they are!). It is really hard not to worry about the future, but almost everyone gets better and the younger you are the better your odds. I'm 50, had my injury 2.5 years ago and I can say I am much better. I also had very intense mental and physical fatigue which was very scary. For me this has gotten much, much better with time. Also, last year I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. Apparently, there is a correlation between sleep apnea and brain injury. After my injury I no longer could get into a deep sleep because I would stop breathing and wake myself 18 times an hour to breath. I was unaware of all of this, but the two sleep studies showed what was going on. I now sleep with a C-pap machine and I find it makes an enormous difference. Now it is one, maybe two days a week that I have that physical fatigue and frankly it correlates to the nights when I haven't used my c-pap all night. And it is not as intense as it use to be. I would fall asleep anywhere on a dime.
As for the mental fatigue, I find that on my good days I can now sustain intense concentration at work for about 6 hours. Up from about 4 hours a year ago. And when I really need to perform at work, I rest up before hand and it usually takes a day or two to "fully" recover. I hope this isn't depressing because I imagine with your age your recovery will be speedier!

I am pulling for you.
concussedlawyer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Theta Z (11-11-2012)