Thread: Neurogenic TOS
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 07:01 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Questions about surgery

Hey everyone....my workers comp doctor finally gave me the authorization to go see a vascular surgeon, and finally agreed that i have Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. I have started my search of doctors and narrowed it down to some in state, and if i have to, some out of state doctors. I live in NY close to NYC and the only problem i have ran into so far is that a lot of the doctors don't accept workers comp cases. I am waiting for a call back from Dr Darren Schneider from New York Presbyterian to find out if he will accept my case. I chose him based on some good reviews. I was just curious about the surgeries to correct TOS. I know there are different procedures based on your specific diagnosis, but i was just wondering about limitations after these surgeries. I dont mean right after surgery, because i'm sure there are many limitations at that point. I am talking more about long term. I am in the law enforcement field, and in my line of work you have to be prepared to use all of your limbs at any time. Right now i'm completely limited to my duties and am sitting at a desk....which often aggravates my symptoms more! With a surgery such as a rib resection or when they cut part of your pec muscle.....does this limit your arm function or range of motion permanently? After the surgery is that area now more susceptible to injury due to the change of overall structure? (like a direct blow to the clavicle/Shoulder area, or a fall impacting that area). These are all things i'm sure my doctor could answer for me eventually....i would just love to hear some first hand accounts. After my surgery my jobs doctors are going to evaluate me in order to determine if i am capable of returning to work in a full capacity. This is why i ask other people who have had any of these surgeries their limitations. Thanks for your help and support.
Joshuamr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote