View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 08:11 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Well, again, I am not doubting Sinemet can work for some people. In my mother I have yet to see any demonstrable benefit, and the neurologist says as much. The neuro suggests we just keep changing the dose until we see if my mother responds. Why we need medicine in the first place is not clear since my mother never complained of any symptoms of PD. It says as mcuh in the doctors notes from her first diagnosis. But I know the inclination of allopathic doctors is to give meds at the drop of a hat.

It's always a cost/benefit analysis, and in this case I see many costs, but not sure of any benefit. All my mother's close friends are wondering why the past few months she has had all kinds of problems. We could chalk it up to age and forget about it and double down on Sinemet. But it would appear to me that whatever the results of now reducing dosage (improved sleep, glimpses of better mental function, making jokes, etc.) the previous increase in dosage definitely had a part in negative side effects. It is a drug (like all of them) that in some circumstances, can be dangerous. Otherwise there would be no warning label on it. For example one circumstance it can be dangerous is in amounts beyond what your specific body can tolerate. Evidently this threshold was crossed in my mother's case. The neuro said this was likely so, herself, given my mother's symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccertese View Post
now i'm really offended.
i know i'm not going to change your mind but for millions of people taking sinemet, it is a life saver. parkinson's was an early death sentence before levodopa. in the same category as insulin, it's been around since 1970. it is a safe drug and it's impossible to be allergic to it. there's nothing "relative" about it.

what do you expect from treating a brain disease, perfection? drugs with no side affects? it's the brain, your're dealing with a very complex organ, billions of cells, limited repair mechanisms, highly specialized, cells that respond differently to different neurotransmitters and of course there is going to be side affects to oral drugs, they are going to affect areas of the brain and body where they normally are in much lower concentrations.

the elderly have more side affects with l-dopa, they have that problem with all drugs because they have slower metabolisms, it's no fun being old in most cases. it's no fun having pd.

sorry, just strongly disagree with your opinions .
egghead5 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote