View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 11:48 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I don't buy it's too late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conductor71 View Post
Person who runs the site was banned long ago for trolling and hawking his amino acid formulation here. One or two people from here tried his protocol and I believe one had some success, cannot recall user name....

I too, based on personal experience, think there is a glucose homeostasis issue. However, studies are all over the place contradicting. One finds a connection and another says the exact opposite, so don't expect a consensus statement any time soon.

Sugar is highly addictive and it has been noted anecdotally that many PD patients have a sweet tooth. I did eat too much junkfood when I was in my teens; lots of it sugar laden. Still, when we look at any theory like glucose
we have to try and see how it might influence myriad other things going in our noggin. This for me then says is this yet another pathway? or THE pathway for this thing called PD?

One interesting thing is that both diabetes and PD take a long time to develop and by the time symptoms are present it is too late in both cases. I wonder then if we don't all start out with a glucose processing issue so we start out with a common pathology that then forks between diabetes and PD?

I recall reading how our circadian rhythm is impacted by our glucose levels but it is actually a two way street. Sugar suppresses our arousal hormones (dopamine incude), so it makes us sleepy. Then sleep deprivation upsets our glucose metabolism leaving us craving sugar and making us more insulin resistant. Well as it turns out, people just getting diagnosed with Diabetes report poor sleep. I have heard so many people say that sleep abnormalities preceded their signs of PD.

I next wonder if dietary benefit from the ketogenc diet and the more recently the wheat germ supplemented diets were beneficial due to eliminating sugars and processed food?

Hmmm...
Thanks Laura, but I don't think it's too late...there are countless diabetics who lost weight, ate healthy, began to exercise and now no longer take insulin or are "diabetic": they have reversed their diabetes. I would even call them cured. I have seen this even in my own family. They are fortunate in that they knew what could be done to kick their condition: we do not, yet.

The human body is wired for survival, IMHO. This is a huge advantage over illness
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote