View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 04:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Why I am not grateful for help

I am not handling this well. When we have guests for dinner, if I try to do something simple like dish out ice cream, I am overtaken by hovering friends who take the scoop and leave me standing aside useless. One time I wanted to continue watching a football game with the visitors (the purpose of the visit) after dinner and before dessert, but one person insisted on doing the clean up. I should be grateful, but it makes me feel incompetent and just reminds me that I have PD.

A trip to New York was planned but when I said I wanted to go, I was told it would be too much for me. Heck, a lot of things are too much for me, but I still would like to decide for myself. I tell them I can do almost everything, but it just takes me longer.

Of course it is nice to have people do things for me, but I don't like being treated like an invalid. I say that, and I promise that some day I probably will be an invalid, but not yet!

Maybe I am wrong, (I probably am wrong), but I suspect that they feel as good about themselves when they give a helping hand as I feel badly. That grace attribute seems to be eluding me.

AnnT2
AnnT2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote