View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 09:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

For what it is worth, I agree that you should take the time off. It took me well over a year after my accident to cut my activities (work and caring for my small farm) WAY back. I was able to get help on my farm and work minimally (as a massage therapist), but slept alot and forced myself to just do as little as I could. Watching tv was very helpful (I know some people can't tolerate tv, but for me it was bliss and I'm not a normal tv watcher). It gave part of my mind a place to focus while the rest of my brain didn't have to "work". Doing nothing for several months sped up my recovery in the end. I was having great difficulty before doing that. A sports medicine Dr advised me to do this. There is a protocol that activity (Any and ALL activity) stops until concussion symptoms are gone. You may slowly increase activities at that time and if symptoms come back, you lay off activity again until the symptoms go away again. This can take a lot of time, so give it a chance. Doing this gave me the ability to become aware of activities that made me feel worse. I took all activity away and slowly added things in to see how it was tolerated. I hope this makes sense.

I don't think the "use it or lose it" theory applies when healing a brain...that comes at a later point in the healing. It's like working out a broken arm before the bones are fully fused back together. Think of this time like the time a broken arm has to be in a cast.

I just can't stress enough what rest will do for healing a brain injury. REST as much as you can and you will see the benefits. I am back doing my farm work with less help now and I owe it to taking that time off. (you may be even discover that 2 months may or may not be enough, I suggest just keeping an open end on that in the back of your mind).
eponagirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Theta Z (11-13-2012)