View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 04:37 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default uh-oh

Uh-oh.
My doc figured I was getting too crazy a few weeks ago - and gave me quetiapine; but i did not take it because I ain't crazy and I am full of drugs already. He was eager to have me try it, but I didn't. Now, with this post by ashleyk, I begin to think I should try it out. But is anti-depressant and anti-psychotic in the same league?

"...Quetiapine down-regulates or blocks (i.e. as an antagonist) dopamine, norepinephrine, serotonin and certain histamine receptors, but mainly dopamine. ..."

(So is that good or bad? Why do i want to "down-regulate or block dopamine??? (as antagonist)"
Wikipedia says:

Trade names Seroquel
Bioavailability 9%
Metabolism Hepatic
Half-life 6 hours (parent compound); 12 hours (active metabolite)
Excretion Renal

Quetiapine (branded as Seroquel, Xeroquel, Ketipinor), is an atypical antipsychotic approved for the treatment of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, insomnia and at a lower dose an add-on to treat depression.

(Yeah, but sneezing? Does it stop ragweed sneezing?)

Annual sales are approximately $5.7 billion worldwide, with $2.9 billion in the United States. Quetiapine effects multiple cellular receptors. Specifically it is an antagonist that primarily effects the H1, a1, 5HT2a receptors, (and to a lessor extent D2 and M1 receptors). Quetiapine down-regulates or blocks (i.e. as an antagonist) dopamine, norepinephrine, serotonin and certain histamine receptors, but mainly dopamine.
Y'all figure I should try it out?
Bob Dawson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote