View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 01:00 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have had the surgery.....twice! Yes I was told the same thing, that a sneeze, cough or hard stool could be all that it took to make me a quad, or worse! Mine was down to 3mm and 4mm and the doc's couldn't believe I was able to function. That was at C4-5 and C5-6. Had disc removed and bone graft put in at both levels without instrumentation this is known as a ACDF because they went through the front. I broke C5-6 or it never healed, still up in the air as to which, but it caused C6-7 to completely rupture, to the point the surgeon said it was one of the worst he had seen and sympathized with the pain it must be creating. He confirmed after the surgery it was as bad or worse than the films showed. That pain is the one I will never forget nor want ever again!

I had to have C5-6 redone and then he removed the disc at C6-7 and replaced it with a bone graft as well then he tied everything together with a titanium plate and screws. This was a different surgeon than my first one.

I am happy with the results so far, It has only been 6 months. I still have the pain in the neck and into the shoulder blade and down the arm. That being said as I am having tests to figure out what is going on, I have learned that I have two torn tendons in my shoulder and arthritis has also set up shop. This may be the cause of that pain. It remains to be seen whether or not it is.

Now mine may have been prevented, the second surgery, had the original surgeon done the c6-7 level the first time around as it was herniated and torn prior to the surgery. There is a condition known as the domino effect where the levels above and below go bad over time. That being a know probability he should have done it because it didn't last 6 months! Do your research. Talk to people, you will find out it is a common procedure and lots of folks have it done. There will be good names and bad names and then you go and feel the doctors out and pick the one you like and trust. Best of luck to you!
gatorhead is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (11-15-2012), mg neck prob (11-14-2012), ReeseCup913 (11-14-2012)