View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 03:05 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Unrelated but in my youth I went thru a period of severe insomnia. Being very poor and having two absentee parents going to a doctor was out of the question. I learned to meditate. Can't recall where I read it but when you meditate deeply it mimics the same state the brain goes into during sleep.

Don't know if it is true or not. What I did learn is that once I was able to settle myself and meditate I would feel very much better after. Not refreshed as sleeping did but not that mental exhaustion that accompanies lack of sleep. While learning meditation can be taxing without being guided you will need to be more patient because of your PCS.

Try to find a location with minimal distractions. Seat yourself in a position that supports your body well. Remember to accommodate any back or neck injury. I prefer cross legged on the floor on a pillow. Closing your eyes is good for novices. Now here is the really hard part. Focus your mind on nothing. It's OK when thoughts intrude that is normal.

For those just learning it can be helpful to think of the mind as a white slate that is written on by thoughts. Just keep wiping it clean. Do not expect to be able to last very long initially. 30 minutes or so is OK. Make sure no clocks are in sight. Like many things meditation is a learned skill but one I find very valuable. Practice everyday. When you get the hang of clearing your mind, and you will. Then meditate one a single point in your chest, stomach, groin or head. No thoughts just a single point.

As you become more comfortable with this type of meditation your ability to stay longer in this state and the depth you go will increase. You will feel much better and calmer afterwards. If you try this remember not to expect too much to soon. Meditation is not an immediate skill. It requires dedication and practice but I found the benefits were huge to me.

Hope you feel better soon.

To see the divine in the moment.
rmschaver is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Theta Z (11-14-2012)